Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cauliflower Gratin


I am just getting spoiled all over!  My mom just bought me a beautiful gratin dish!  I have always wanted one of those!  I have never made a gratin before.  Seeing pictures, they always look creamy and rich and delicious.  Well, now I have found my chance!


I found a recipe for a cauliflower gratin in “French Women Don’t Get Fat, The Secret of Eating for Pleasure”, by Mireille Guiliano.  I actually came across this recipe while I was in the car.  I shop for groceries everyday, you see.  I only shop for the ingredients I need that day.  I have found that if I shop all at once I waste more food.  I always have a cookbook in the car just in case I didn’t plan ahead. (I do that all of the time).  The lucky cookbook just happed to be this one.  Mirielle does have delicious recipes.  (See previous post) and this one is no exception!

Just a side note…. Isabelle and I like this dish.  Alex tried it and didn’t like it.  Ted and Gabe wouldn’t give it a shot. 


Cauliflower Gratin


1 medium-size head of cauliflower
2 cups milk
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg
½ cup grated cheese, (Gruyere, Swiss, Jarlsberg, Comte, Parmesan, or Pecorino, or a mix of 2)
1 tablespoon butter
Salt and freshly ground pepper




  1. Trim the cauliflower, separate the flowerets, and cook in the milk and the ½ teaspoon of salt until tender (10 to 15 minutes).  Drain, reserving 1/3 cup of the milk.
  2. Arrange the cooked flowerets in a lightly buttered baking dish.  Beat together the egg and reserved milk.  Add the cheese to the milk and egg and spread over the flowerets.  Add the salt and pepper.  Dot with the butter.
  3. Broil the gratin until browned and bubbly.
  4. Serve hot.


4 comments:

  1. I've seen recipes for cauliflower gratin and even cauliflower mashed "potatoes" before, but never tried them. Yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum it's so creamy and delicious looking. I haven't had cauliflower gratin in ages. You have inspired me to make it again as this recipe looks awesome. What a lovely mum you have! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely way to use cauliflower looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, cauliflower is not very popular with some people, but your dish looks great !!!!

    ReplyDelete