Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Easy Weeknight: Taco Pie

 

IMG_2464.JPG (2)

True fact:  I love Mexican food.  The spicier the better.  To be more accurate, I guess I love “Tex-Mex” cuisine.  Burritos, tacos, nachos, chimichungas, and the giant margaritas to wash them all down.  When I am looking for recipes to feed my family, I try to look for recipes that have the same flavor profile as my favorite Mexican dishes.  Taco pie nailed it on the head.  All the great taco and burrito flavor in one great dish!

IMG_2453.JPG (2)

Taco pie comes to us from the “Best Family Meals from the Bake-Off” cookbook.  Pillsbury has come up with such a handy idea of little cookbooks you can put into your purse so you can pull them out at a moments notice. I keep them in the car, in my purse, on my dresser, under my bed, you get the picture.  The books have slowly taken over my house.  I hope to eventually cook something out of each one of them. 

IMG_2456.JPG (2)

  Feel free to mix it up with the spices.  I used ground turkey, but you can use ground beef if you would like.  Let this sit for a few minutes to cool down and set up.  If you care to check out my other Mexican endeavors the links are listed below.

Texas Crunch Taco Burgers

Mexican Bubble Pizza

Speedy Mexican Skillet

 

 

 

Taco Pie

 

1 Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust from 15 oz package, softened as directed.

1 pound lean ground beef

1 (1.25 ounce), package taco seasoning mix

1 (16 ounce jar) thick and chunky salsa

1 can of corn

1 (2.8 ounce) can French fried onions

1 cup ricotta cheese

2 eggs

1 small tomato, diced

8 ounces shredded taco-flavored cheese blend

 

1.  Heat oven to 450 degrees. 

2.  Prepare pie crust according to package directions.  Lay the pie crust in a 9-inch pie pan or a 10-inch deep pie pan.  Bake at 450 for 9-11 minutes or until light golden brown.

IMG_2435.JPG (2)

3.  Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees. 

4.  Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through.  Drain the beef.  Stir in the taco seasoning, corn and salsa.

IMG_2437.JPG (2)

 

5. Bring to a boil and reduce heat; simmer uncovered 5 minutes.  Add half of the fried onions and mix well. 

IMG_2441.JPG (2)

6.  Spoon meat mixture into prepared crust.

IMG_2444.JPG (2)

7.  In a bowl combine the eggs, ricotta cheese and one cup of the taco cheese blend.  Mix well and spoon over meat mixture.

IMG_2438.JPG (2)

IMG_2446.JPG (2)

8.  Bake at 350 for 25 to 35 minutes or until slightly puffed in the center.

IMG_2448.JPG (2)

9.  Remove pie from oven and sprinkle with remaining cup of cheese.  Sprinkle fried onions in the center.  Return to the oven for 2 to 3 minutes to melt the cheese.

IMG_2450.JPG (2)

IMG_2451.JPG (2)

10.  Sprinkle tomato around edge of pie and in center of filling.  Let pie stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving. 

 

Serves 6 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment