Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tangy Lime-Poppy Seed Cake




I have decided that I like to try interesting combination of things (the sweet potato pound cake with citrus glaze)  I like to contrast of flavors between sweet and tart especially when is comes to pastries and baked goods.  This recipe, Tangy Lime-Poppy Seed Cake called out “Try me”.  Everyone has had lemon poppy seed baked goods, but lime?  Now that was something different.  What also intrigued me about the cake were the different types of baking techniques that were required.  




I found this recipe in the cookbook, “The Only Bake Sale Cookbook You’ll ever need”, written by Laurie Goldrich Wolf and Pam Abrams.  It is a collection of wonderful baked goods that can be packaged and sold and school fundraisers, scouting events, and even when the garage sale season starts.  There is even an entire chapter on Rice Krispie Treats.  I definitely plan on using this cookbook again.     


I made this cake under extreme circumstances.  Husband and friend were watching the premier of True blood (I can’t seem to get into that show) and I didn’t want to disturb them.  So I really had to put some muscle into this cake.  I couldn’t’ use the electric hand mixer.  The steps of making the cake include, soaking the poppy seeds, making a meringue creaming the butter and the sugar and mixing it all on the high speed setting of a hand mixer. 



Problem… Why did I wait to make this cake until 9:00 at night and how did I get into this.  Answer…. Me.  I can make this work.  I can do this….  So I started!  I creamed the sugar and butter as hard as I possibly could!  My arm really hurt!  Making the meringue was so much harder!  I thought my arm was going to fall off!  At one point I thought the cake batter had curdled, when I mixed in the milk that had the poppy seeds soaking in it.  It did take me a lot longer to make the cake than I thought.  At 10:00 it finally made it into the oven and for an hour I sat and anxiously twiddle my thumbs while it baked. 


By the time the cake came out the oven and after I put the glaze on, it was close to 11:30pm.  Husbands show was way past being done and I was exhausted.  Normally I am super excited to take pictures of my creations, but I told this one it had to wait until morning.  The morning came and the cake was delicious, and it looked beautiful too!   


Tangy Lime-Poppy Seed Cake

Cake
1 cup milk
4 tbs poppy seeds
3 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
1 tsp almond extract
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tbs plus 2 tsp finely grated lime zest
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbs baking powder
½ tsp salt

Lime Syrup

¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
6 tbs lime juice


Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.  Lightly grease a 10-inch spring form pan with baking spray.

Combine the milk and poppy seeds in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Heat, stirring, until very hot, but not boiling. Remove the pan from the heat. Let stand until mixture is room temperature.

Using and electric mixer (or if you have guests over, your arm) on high speed, beat the egg whites and almond extract in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form.  Seat aside.

Using an electric mixer (or your arm that all ready is sore from the step above) cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl.  Add the egg yolks, lime zest, and milk mixture and mix on high speed until completely blended.

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl and stir into butter mixture until thoroughly blended.  Using a rubber spatula, fold in the egg white mixture until no white streaks remain.  Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the rubber spatula.

Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let stand in the pan for 10 minutes before removing the side of the pan.

Meanwhile, make the lime syrup:  Combine 2 tablespoons hot water and confectioners’ sugar in a small bowl, stir until smooth.  Stir in lime juice.  Drizzle over the hot cake allowing the syrup to soak in.  Cool.  Wrap tightly in aluminum foil and store at room temperature.
 

            

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful cake! I have had an orange and poppyseed cake before but never a lime. It looks so delicious and moist, I am going to have to try it! Lol, I was in the same predicament last night, with the electric mixer situation. Hubby was watching the football and me and my electric mixer ended up in the bathroom ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have done lemon poppyseed, but lime? Your dedication was well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! It was definitely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, this is late; (compared to how old the post is, at least.) I used this recipe yesterday, and my whole family loved it! I'm pretty sure we'll be using it again, thanks so much for posting it! :)

    ReplyDelete