Monday, July 5, 2010

Insalata di Potate


My oven and stove have gone into hibernation.  They think that I have been neglecting them.  It is sad… I do miss them.  All of the wonderful creations that have come out of them…. a distant memory.  Ok, so it has been a week and it has been way too hot!  I promised them at some point I will return.
                                                                       
On a happier note! This has been one of the greatest vacations ever! I am filled to the brim with great food and good times!   All I have done for the last five days is eat, and eat, and eat! My husband and I take off the Fourth of July weekend because two of our children have birthdays right next to each other.   It started on Thursday with my son’s 11th birthday.  He picked birthday lunch at a really cool restaurant that serves fried alligator as an appetizer.  For the two days before his birthday that is all he could talk about!  ALLIGATOR!  Alright, I tasted it.  I tried it.  NOT GOOD!  I am pretty flexible when it comes to flavors.  It is the textures of things I can’t handle.  Alligator is one that I cannot handle.  Chewy, rubbery, fatty, blehhhhh, and my son loved it!  It was well worth it to watch him eat it.

My daughters 9th birthday was on Friday and she picked one of her favorite restaurants and we had a great meal.  Birthday dinner for both of the kids was at a Japanese steak house.  YUMMY!  I am getting full just thinking about all of the great food! 

I would have to say my favorite meal of the weekend was on Saturday.  We had the family party for both of the kids.  We made hamburgers and hotdogs and asked all the family members to bring their special salads that they bring to potlucks.  I asked my mother to bring her pepperoni salad, and my grandmother to bring her Italian potato salad.  They are always a hit, and easy to make, and absolutely delicious!  Here is my grandmother’s beautiful and delicious potato salad recipe.

This recipe serves four but it is easily doubled or tripled for a big crowd.

Italian Potato Salad (Insalata di Potate)

2 medium-sized white potatoes
1 stalk celery, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
½ cup English cucumber, peeled and chopped
½ cup sliced black olives
2 tablespoons diced red onion
¼ tsp oregano
1 packet Good Seasoning Italian dressing, mixed according packet directions


Boil the potatoes gently until fork tender.  You don’t want to boil them too long or the potato salad will end up getting mushy.  When the potatoes are done, cool them until they are able to be handled and peel them, by rubbing the skins off.  Chill them in the refrigerator for half an hour. 

Gently break up the potatoes in a medium-sized bowl.  Add the celery, cucumber and black olives.  Toss gently, trying not to break up the potatoes even more.  Mix in the red onion and toss with dressing and oregano.  Add about ¾ of a cup of dressing.  The potato salad will soak up some of the dressing during refrigeration.  Add more dressing if needed before serving. 

Serves 4.

1 comment:

  1. Really fantastic looking potato salad. I am always looking for different recipes for this versatile salad. I simply adore your kids birthday cakes, they are really sweet. Bravo, to you, for trying the crocodile!

    ReplyDelete