Sunday, August 1, 2010

Blueberry Tartlets



So here is the last in the series of “small bites”.  I am sure I will be making more small bites in the future, but this one is the grand finale. 

Blueberry Tartlets is a recipe that came from the December 2002 issue of “Pillsbury, Holiday, Appetizers and Desserts” cookbook.  In the cookbook it is actually called Pomegranate Tartlets.  Funny story:  I went to the store with every intention to buy a pomegranate, but my children started bickering, as they sometimes do, and I forgot.  So when I arrived home and discovered that I had not purchased a pomegranate, they became blueberry tartlets.  I also justified using blueberries because they are in season and pomegranates are a Christmas fruit.  OH! And my daughter said that all the tartlets look like they have eyeballs! 

This recipe was fantastic, quick, easy and delicious!  I had to hide them from my children before the party guest arrived!

Blueberry (Pomegranate) Tartlets

Crust
3 refrigerated pie crusts. Softened

Topping
2 blueberries or the seeds of one pomegranate

Filling

1 (3oz) package, vanilla pudding and pie filling mix (not instant)
1 ¾ cups whipping cream
2 tablespoons dark rum
1 teaspoon powdered sugar

  1. Heat oven to 450 degrees.  Remove pie crusts from pouches.  Unfold crusts; press out fold lines.  With 2 1/2 –inch round cutter, cut crusts into 36 rounds.  I used a glass.  Press each round into a miniature muffin cup pan. 
  2. Bake at 450 degrees for 7 to 9 minutes or until lightly browned.  Remove tartlet shells from pan; place on wire racks.  Cool 10 minutes.
  3. In medium saucepan, combine pudding mix and whipping cream; stir with wire whisk to blend.  Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat, stir in rum
  4. Immediately spoon about 2 rounded teaspoons of filling into each tartlet shell.
  5. Top each with 1 tsp of pomegranate seeds or blueberries.
  6. Cover loosely; refrigerate at least 1 hour or until serving time.
  7. Just before serving, sprinkle tartlets with powdered sugar. 
  8.  






6 comments:

  1. I love mini desserts :) It seems easier to indulge without feeling so guilty! Love the tartlet and the blueberry flavor as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything mini. They are so adorable! Blueberries ain't a bad idea, so maybe your kids intended to distract you so that you would "accidentally" make blurberry tartlets for them hehe. They look delicious btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy. They look so good. Bite size morsels of deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies!!!! It was hard not to eat more than four,err I mean one. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so easy! And the rum...very nice!

    ReplyDelete