Don’t turn the channel! Not until you fully understand the brilliance of this recipe. Yes this is a recipe, not just a list of ingredients. This is one recipe that I have kept hidden, from the gourmet favored public. Some say I may lose readers. Some say it shouldn’t’ be done. I can’t keep it in any longer! THIS IS ONE OF MY MOST FAVORITE FOODS. I will not be ashamed. I can hold my head high and be proud to share this.
This recipe is my childhood favorite. Yes, I know I have said spaghetti is my all time favorite and it is, but my grandma made it. This fantastic concoction, my mother made. I guess you could call this a casserole. Growing up I hated casseroles, all my food mixed together for me, and who knows what was hidden and lurking inside of them. Green peppers, raisins, cooked tomatoes, all waiting for me to unknowingly and unwillingly bite down on them. I shudder at the memory. Your children’s stomach and imaginations will be safe with the knowledge that this casserole is an open book. There are hidden agendas or secrets. It’s all right there. Hot dogs, mashed potatoes, and cheese.
My mother began making this casserole on camping trips. It was and still is one of her most requested recipes, and those request still only come from my sister and I. I think she found it in a church cookbook eons ago and has been making it ever since. This is one dish my sister and I can agree on and we both can eat without an argument. Hot dogs, mashed potatoes and cheese is totally gluten free! In all the years my mother has been making this dish she has had only one mess up. The night my boyfriend (now husband) Ted, came over for dinner I was raving about this dish to him. My mother decided to use white turkey hot dogs instead of regular or the Oscar Mayer classic franks. It was terrible!!!! I was mortified!!!! My mother hasn’t, and she won’t ever live that down.
So here are some tips for making the best hot dogs, mashed potatoes, and cheese.
1. Use only all beef or classic Oscar Mayer hot dogs. You can also use cheese hot dogs too.
2. You can use instant mashed potatoes if you are running short on time. I try always make it with homemade mashed potatoes. I like the chunky texture.
3. You can use a variety of good melting cheeses for the top. I like a mix of Colby jack and sharp cheddar, but you could use pepper jack or Monterey jack cheese.
4. Understand that this is a comfort food and it’s not intended to be fancy and pretentious. It’s fun! It is kids food. Enjoy the magic.
Let me know in the comments below what you guys think and what your guilty food pleasures are.
Hot Dogs, Mashed Potatoes, and Cheese
This recipe is enough to fit in a 10x13 inch pan. You really can make as much or as little as you want. When you make the mashed potatoes make sure you have enough so the layer is about an inch think. You don’t want to see the hot dogs underneath the potatoes.
15 hot dogs cut into circles. You can use cheese hot dogs too.
5 cups of mashed potatoes. You can make your favorite recipe or use instant. For this manifestation I didn’t peel the potatoes.
3 cups of shredded cheese.
Lowry’s Seasoned Salt (secret ingredient)
1. Lay the hot dogs in the bottom of your pan.
2. Cover with mashed potatoes. It’s ok if they are still hot.
3. Sprinkle mashed potatoes with the seasoned salt. Be liberal about this.
4. Cover with cheese.
5. Cover pan with foil and bake at 350 degree until the cheese is melted and the hotdogs are hot, usually about 35 minutes. Again, this is based on your pan size.
6. Take out pan and enjoy. Really, just dive in and devour.