Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sweet Sundays: Toffee Pumpkin Pie Bars

 

toffee pumpkin 066

My newest obsession is finding great desserts for less than 200 calories per serving.  I don’t want to feel guilty about the food that I have been filling my face with so I have been on the hunt.  I want to have something in my refrigerator or pantry that I can grab and say to myself. “ This isn’t that bad for me and I have counted it into my calories for the day.” 

toffee pumpkin 054

I found this recipe for Toffee Pumpkin Pie Bars in the Better Homes and Gardens “Ultimate Low Calorie Cook Book”.  I love, love, love this cookbook.  It is easy to use, and the pages are starting to get crinkled.  I have used this cookbook 4 times already, just in the past two weeks and I am not ready to stop now.  I did substitute cinnamon grahams for gingersnap cookies in the crust. I think any crust would work with these.  Please enjoy these delicious treats and have a sweet Sunday!

toffee pumpkin 058

 

Toffee Pumpkin Pie Bars

Makes 32 bars

 

Calories: 145

Fat:  8 grams (4 saturated)

Carbohydrates: 17 grams

Fiber: 1 gram

Protein:  2 grams

 

 

Toffee Pumpkin Pie Bars

 

1 recipe Ginger Crumb Crust (following)

1 16 ounce can pumpkin

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

4 eggs, lightly beaten

1 1/2 cups fat free half and half

1/2 cup toffee pieces

1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Sugar Free caramel ice cream topping for the drizzle.

 

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2.  Line a 13x9x2 inch baking pan with parchment paper of foil.  Lightly spray the pan with baking spray.  Press the crust into the bottom of the pan.

toffee pumpkin 022

3.  In a large bowl combine pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves.  Add eggs; beat lightly with a fork until combined.

toffee pumpkin 032

4.  Gradually add half-and-half, stir until combined.  Pour filling into crust lined pan.

toffee pumpkin 042

5.  Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. 

toffee pumpkin 046

6.  Sprinkle top with toffee pieces and pecans.  Cool on rack.

toffee pumpkin 050

7.  Using the paper of foil, carefully lift the bars out the pan.  Cut into 32 bars.  Chill for two hours.  Before serving drizzle with the caramel topping.

 

For the crust:  In a medium bowl combined crushed 2 cups crushed cinnamon graham crackers, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ginger and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour.  Add 1/2 cup melted butter and stir until well combined. 

toffee pumpkin 010

1 comment:

  1. Sarah this looks so good I will have to try it soon!!!

    ReplyDelete