Sunday, January 6, 2013

“Cheddar Swirl Breakfast Buns” or “The Best Thing I Ever Put in My Face”

 

 

 

IMG_1178

 

So….. Hi!  My name is Sara and I am a victim of blogger ADD.  I have so many things going on, my one passion that I have all to myself, gets pushed to the side.  I have so many things that I want to share with all of you.  I just can’t ever find the time to sit down and do it.  I have a new hobby that has taken me away from my kitchen.  Knitting!!!!!!! I love it!  But I promise you, this will not become a knitters blog.  I am still a beginner and I am not in the position to give advice on knitting…not yet at least!

 

Here is the recipe for the cheddar buns.  I didn’t take as many pictures of the process as I wanted, I just don’t seem to have the right light in my kitchen.  The recipe comes from one of the newest cookbooks in my collection.  “The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook” by Deb Perelman.  Deb is a fellow blogger, who I have followed for a few years and she has written a beautiful cookbook with simple, easy to follow recipes.  I would highly suggest getting this book to keep in your kitchen.  I LOVE IT!  She has taken all of the pictures herself in her tiny, tiny kitchen.

IMG_1177

Before you start making these delicious buns, please do not get scared by the time it takes to make these.  A proper yeast bread needs time.  Not a lot of attended time, but time.  The total time for these is 4-5 hours.  I started these the night before and put in them in refrigerator to finish in the morning.  This recipe is perfect to start on a Friday night and have it baking when the kids get up in the morning on Saturday.  These buns are soft and squishy and absolutely delicious.  The combination of cheddar, dill onion will make you swoon.   You will be mother of the year. 

 

Cheddar Swirl Breakfast Buns

 

Dough

 

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

Few grinds of black pepper

1 tablespoon sugar

2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet instant yeast)

1 cup milk

4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled, plus 1 tablespoon melted for brushing

 

Filling

 

1/2 cup (medium) grated white onion

1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese

2 teaspoons minced fresh dill

1/4 teaspoon table salt

Few grinds of fresh black pepper

 

 

1.  Combine flour, salt, pepper and sugar in the bottom of a large bowl.  I used my stand-mixer bowl. 

2.  In a separate bowl, whisk the yeast into the milk until it dissolves, then pour it into the yeast/milk mixture along with the melted butter into the flour mixture.

3.  Mix together with the paddle attachment of your mixer or if doing by hand mix until the dough comes together in a shaggy mess.

4.  Switch to the dough hook if you are using a mixer and knead for 6 minutes until a smooth sticky ball forms.  By-hand, put dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 8 minutes until the dough becomes smooth.

5.  Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  Let sit in a warm place to rise for 2 hours or until doubled in size.  If you are running out of time at the end of the night you can put the dough in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it and let it come to room temperature and rise for 2 hours.

6.  Mix your filling together.  This is the worst part.  Grating the onions makes me cry instantly and I had a hard time seeing what I was doing.  Just keep moving along and it will be done soon.

7.  Place the dough on a well-floured counter and roll (make sure your flour the rolling pin) into a 12x16 rectangle.

8.  Spread the filling on the dough, leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edge.

9.  Starting with the short end of the rectangle, begin to roll the tightly. 

10.  Using a serrated knife, slice the log of dough into 12 portions.

11.  Place in two round baking dishes, lined with parchment paper, or pan spray.  You can also use a 9x13 baking dish and bake them all together.

12.  Brush with butter and cover with plastic wrap and let rest for another 2 hours or until double in size.  I put the rolls in the refrigerator at this point of the process and pulled them out in the morning when I was ready to bake them.  I let the rolls rise for 3 hours and that included time to come to room temperature.

13.  Bake at a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tops are browned and the cheese is bubbling!

14.  FILL YOUR FACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment