Sunday, January 13, 2013

Scallion Cheddar Potato Pancakes

 

IMG_1210

These are what I want for breakfast.  I love breakfast, but not a sweet breakfast.  Ok, so I don’t like eggs either.  I know crazy.  I am a pain in the buns when we go out for breakfast.  No pancakes, no French toast, no omelets, nothing left but, oatmeal (blurgh) and assorted pastries.  Ok, so I do like pancakes, but prefer them cold with peanut butter.  Every once in a while when we go out for breakfast I get lucky.  Potato pancakes or lox and a bagel are my favorite breakfasts.  It would be really cool to have lox on potato pancakes.  Can we say heaven?

A few nights ago we had breakfast for dinner.  I made my family pancakes and sausage.  While their pancakes were griddling, I took the opportunity to make myself something special.  I took a simple latke or potato pancake recipe and made it my own.  I also got to use a new pan.  I am the proud new owner of a cast iron skillet.  These pancakes cooked beautifully in the pan.  The heat stayed even and the edges of the pancakes were crisp and golden. You can use any type of skillet you have.  I added some oil to my pan, but if you wanted to be more health conscience, you can easily make these in a nonstick pan.  The finished dish was perfect!  I think it could be accepted on any breakfast menu!

IMG_1206

Just a note, I didn’t use a cookbook for this one.  I mixed what I wanted into the pancake batter and used what I liked.  Please feel free to change the ingredients around.  Just make sure you dry your potatoes and add egg and flour to help the pancakes bind. I only used two potatoes and produced six pancakes of fairly good size.

IMG_1208

 

 

 

 

Scallion Cheddar Potato Pancakes

 

2 medium sized russet potatoes, grated on a box grater.

2 scallions (or green onion) chopped-use green and white parts

1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, optional.

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for topping

1 egg, beaten

1/4 cup all purpose flour

Vegetable oil to coat the bottom of a pan.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Sour cream

1.  Grate the potatoes on the large side of a box grater and place the shredded potatoes in a linen cloth or clean dish towel and wring out the excess liquid.  Squeeze the potatoes as hard as you can.  The potatoes need to be almost dry in order for the flour and eggs to bind. 

IMG_1202

2.  In a bowl combine, potatoes, scallions, cheese, egg, flour and dill and mix with a fork until combined.

IMG_1203

 

3.  Heat your skillet over medium-high heat.  To test the oil, drop a shred of potato in the oil.  If it sizzles right away the oil is ready to go.

4.  Add potato mixture by the spoonful into the oil and press down flatten.  Cook the pancakes until you see the edges browning slightly and then flip over.  Continue to cook until both sides are evenly browned.

IMG_1204

5.  If you are making the pancakes smaller for appetizers, you can preheat your oven to 275 degrees to keep them warm.  Drain the pancakes on a wire rack.

6.  To serve sprinkle with additional cheese and dollop with sour cream and scatter with scallions, salt and pepper. 

Everybody will be jealous when you come to the table with your plate.

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am so glad you checked it out! Stay tuned for more!

    ReplyDelete