It seems that I am always on the never-ending quest to find a quick dinner that can be prepared and cooked in twenty minutes. Even when purchasing a new cookbook I gravitate to books which have easy to prepare recipes and not too many ingredients. The criteria in the recipes for a week night meal are these: 4-5 ingredients, inexpensive, not longer than 1 hour cook time and something that every one will like. If it were up to me, we would be eating salads most of the time, but alas the members of my family are not big salad eaters, vegetable eaters for that matter.
I love the cookbooks that can be purchased at the grocery checkout. I find that I can’t stand still and patiently wait my turn, so when I am not perusing the latest issue of People magazine I am drooling over all of the monthly cookbooks. I have made quite a few recipes from them and though they are not gourmet they still taste delicious. Did I mention that I have a dozen of the cookbooks in my car so when I am in desperate need of a dinner idea, inspiration isn’t that far away?
Case in point. Spicy Chinese Chicken Tacos. Quick, easy and delicious. I found it in the Easy Potlucks cookbook from Pillsbury (December 2004, issue #286). There are quite a few recipes that I would like to try in this cookbook. The Potato-topped Oven Swiss Steak recipe looks good as does the Southwest Lasagna. MMMMmmmmm stay tuned for those delicious ideas!
Spicy Chinese Chicken Tacos
Serves 6 (two tacos apiece)
Carbohydrate count: 17 grams per serving
1 box (4.6 ounce) white corn or regular taco shells (12)
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin bite-size strips
1 teaspoon grated ginger root
1 small clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 large green onion, sliced (1 1/2 tablespoons)
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce
1. Heat taco shells according to directions on package.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, gingerroot and garlic; cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently until chicken is lightly browned.
3. Reduce heat to low. Stir in soy sauce, honey, onion and crushed red pepper to coat.
4. Cover, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink inside.
5. To serve, spoon about 1/4 cup chicken mixture into each warm taco shell.
6. Top with shredded lettuce.