Sunday, August 7, 2011
Sweet Sundays: Coconut Cranberry Cookies
What better way to end the week, than with dessert, or you could be starting the week with dessert. Either way you look at it dessert is the best! Sundays will now be dubbed the sweetest day of the week. In our household it is the one day we spend together. The laundry day, the cleaning day, the underwear day (as Alex calls it). If nobody is coming over and we are not going anywhere, why get dressed. Well that day just got sweeter, even if you are just in your underpants.
So Sundays from now on will feature a simple dessert recipe. It could be as simple as a cookie, cupcake or quick bread. If the weekend doesn’t get too hectic I might attempt a more complex recipe, but none the less Sunday will always be sweet!
I found Coconut Cranberry Cookies perusing my newest addition to the cookbook family, 1001 cupcakes, cookies and other tempting treats. Really, the only reason I picked this recipe was the simple fact that I had all of the ingredients on hand. I didn’t have to the run the grocery store for anything! Spontaneous baking is the best, and what could possibly be better than coconut and cranberry! Back to the cookbook, it is filled simple and complex recipes that are perfect for your sweet tooth.
My mother has not stopped raving about this cookie. It has the texture of the macaroon and the tartness of the dried cranberries. She said it was by far her most favorite cookie. I would rank that as two big thumbs up! Please try this recipe. They are perfect for sharing, (if you want to), or the school bake sales or a sweet Sunday.
Carb count per cookie is 16 grams.
Coconut and Cranberry Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup dry unsweetened coconut
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large baking trays with parchment paper.
2. Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated.
4. Sift the flour, salt into the sugar/butter mixture and mix until combined.
5. Fold in the coconut and cranberries.
6. Using a tablespoon, drop the mounds of cookie dough onto the prepared pans.
7. Bake in oven until lightly browned 12-15 minutes.
8. Cool on a rack and enjoy.