Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Easy Weeknight: Cheesy BBQ Sloppy Joes

 

IMG_1303

 

Some nights are busy.  Some nights are really busy.  With children growing by leaps and bounds and everyone having something going on after school,  it is sometimes hard to get a quick, easy meal on the table.   Sloppy Joes have been around for years and opening a can of “Manwich” has always been a go- to favorite.  Until now.  I vow never again to open a can of sloppy Joe mix when I know I can easily, affordably and quickly make something better myself.  Enter Cheesy BBQ Sloppy Joes.

IMG_1325

I am a member of a monthly cookbook club.  It is a guilty pleasure of mine.  They sucker you in with cheap rates for the first time you buy a cookbook and then you are stuck.  Most of the time I am really good at opting out of my monthly selections.  Then there are months when I totally forget about it and a package shows up at my door.  Oops!  When Southern Living’s “What’s For Supper” book showed up at my door, my first thought was “Shoot”, the second was one was “Sweet”!  It is a really cool cookbook.  I have had the cookbook for six months and I have already made 10 recipes out of it. There is a picture of every recipe and easy side suggestions to go with the featured meals.  This cookbook is really worth every penny I didn’t mean to spend.  I really think it belongs in everyone’s cookbook collection.  Stay tuned for more!  The recipes are super quick, delicious and easy.  I mean they are so quick, I forget to take pictures!

IMG_1301 

The first time I made Cheesy BBQ Sloppy Joes was for a whole bunch of children.  My three kids each had a friend over and I needed something that could feed a crowd.  Two teenage boys, two preteen girls, two 7 year old boys, a husband and myself all were dining.  A big pan of sloppy Joe was the answer!  Everyone loved them!  I served the sloppy Joes on cheese covered garlic toast.  Since then it has been a family favorite.  I normally serve it on regular hamburger buns.  The sandwiches go really great with a quick coleslaw and a vegetable.

This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.  I use one pound packages of ground turkey and still keep the same proportions of the sauce mix. I promise you, this is soooo good, you too, will never buy canned sloppy Joe mix again!

 

Cheesy BBQ Sloppy Joes

*Can be served on cheesy garlic Texas Toast or regular hamburger buns.

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef ( I used ground turkey)

1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes

1 cup ketchup

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno peppers (optional, but I would leave them in!)

1 tablespoon liquid from pickled jalapeno peppers (again, optional. But I would leave it in)

Hamburger buns or a package of garlic Texas toast.

1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

5 ingredients!!!!  That’s it!!!!!!!!!

 

1.  Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 8-10 minutes or until beef crumbles and is no longer pink.  Drain well.

2.  Return beef to skillet and add tomatoes and the next five ingredients. 

3.  Cover and cook 10 minutes.

IMG_1298

4.  That’s it!  Bake your toast if you are using according to package directions or slop it on a hamburger bun, add the cheese and you are good to go!  Whatever you want to do is fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment