Thursday, January 23, 2014

Chia Seed Pudding

 

IMG_2059

So in my cookbook collection I have over 40 cookbooks dedicated to healthy eating.  Cookbooks that tell me what to eat, how to eat, and how much I shouldn’t eat.  Yes, I do love them all, because they are apart of my cookbook family.  And yes, I have bought into most of the fad diets, the all protein, the no milk diet, figure out what blood type you are diet, the only 15 day diet (that one lasted two days) and the peanut butter diet.  Yes, the peanut butter diet.  I was ecstatic to find that cookbook, but very disappointed to find out, it wasn’t all you can eat.

IMG_2061

Enter 2014 and a new healthy living cookbook has found it’s way into my family.  “Giada’s Feel Good Food”, by Giada de Laurentis caught my wandering cookbook eyes before it was released in stores.  I am a fan of her show and she had been advertising her upcoming cookbook.  I mean look at her!  She has to be doing something right.  It did not disappoint!  “Feel Good Food” is filled with beautiful pictures of healthy delicious food, simple recipes and tips on how Giada stays so “Giada”.  I can’t wait to try them all.  Also, a lot of her recipes are gluten free.  I bought the cookbook for my sister (who is quite gluten free) and I hope she finds great ideas as well!

IMG_2055

Chia seed pudding peeked my interest the first time I look through the cookbook.  In my research to eat healthier, I found out the nutritional benefits of adding chia to my diet.  You probably are thinking, don’t you just grow chia seeds on novelty Garfield sculptures?  Why yes, you can.  If you keep reading the instructions on Chia pet boxes you would see that you can eat those too!  You can find chia seeds at your local health food store.  Chia seeds contain fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, manganese (good for bone strength), phosphorus (good for your teeth), and protein.  That is one powerful seed!  You can add chia seeds to anything, muffins, bread, mashed potatoes, it doesn’t’ matter!  Chia seeds don’t have any flavor so they won’t change the taste of what you are making!

013595136ec2631951e81926e14221e8e4f40c2f2b

I did make some changes to Giada’s recipe.  The original recipe calls for unsweetened vanilla flavored almond milk.  I substituted Almond Breeze coconut/almond milk.  It has 45 calories per cup and tastes delicious!  I also used 0% fat Greek yogurt.  The recipe called for 2% low fat Greek yogut

Please give this a try and tell me what you think in the comment section below! Talk to you soon!

 

Chia Seed Pudding

Recipe serves 4 and you need to make this the night before so the chia seeds plump.

1 cup unsweetened coconut/almond milk

1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt

2 tablespoons pure maple syrup

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup chia seeds

1 pint strawberries, hulled and diced.  I did use frozen strawberries

1/4 cup chopped almonds

 

1.  Combine the milk, yogurt, maple syrup, vanilla and salt in a bowl and whisk until combined.

IMG_2037

2.  Whisk in the chia seeds and let stand for 30 minutes.

IMG_2041 

3.  Stir mixture to redistribute the chia seeds.

IMG_2042

4.  Cover and refrigerate over night.

5.  To serve, divide into 4 cups and add the strawberries or any type of fruit, and chopped almonds.

6.  Eat this out of a fancy glass.

Nutritional: 133 calories per serving, 5.9 grams of fat, 15.5 grams of carbohydrates, 5.5 grams of fiber, 7.8 grams of protein. 

No comments:

Post a Comment