Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sweet Sunday: Fudgy Nut Bars

 

IMG_2088

Technically not a brownie.  Technically not fudge.  I would describe this dessert as a totally new eating experience.  Definitely something I was craving.

I am debuting a recipe from another one of my health cookbooks.  I always buy the cookbooks with the hope that one of them will magically shrink the tire around my middle just by opening the cover.  Obviously I know that doesn’t work.  The 45 other health cookbooks can attest to that, but again I am a cookbook glutton and am always searching for the next easiest thing to help me out.  Enter Rocco Dispirito.  I have had my on eye on Rocco for quite some time.  Not because of his cookbooks or the diet plans he has come up with.  Let’s just say there is a small crush (ok, he is super cute).  Now in all honesty I did purchase his diet plan/cookbook “Now Eat This! Diet” in the bargain bin.  I have seen it on the bookshelves for a while now and I have read reviews about it.  So I picked it up and then bought the other two cookbooks that go along with it. 

IMG_2080

The diet plan is easy to read and the recipes look delicious.  The cookbook is laid out in a color pattern.  Each recipe is assigned a color based on its calorie count so you can mix and match to eat the right amount of calories for the day.  I would love to be able to do that.  Make everything from scratch everyday and feed my family from this diet plan.  Wouldn’t that be a dream.  First thing I would have to do before shopping is rob a bank.  Every single recipe has high priced ingredients and that just isn’t in my game plan.  I can easily make recipes out this book every so often, but not something to follow everyday of the week.

So here is a treat.  I know not everyone has the ingredients to make “Fudgy Nut Bars” in their cupboard, so maybe make these when you are feeling adventurous and have time to plan ahead.  The bar/brownie/candy are fantastic.  The dessert is loaded with fiber and protein and is low in calories so you can quench your chocolate craving without breaking your calorie bank.  I wouldn’t tell your family what is in them until after they have tasted one, and when you look at the ingredients list you will know why.  Just know that you can feel good about eating this dessert.  Enjoy!

 

Fudgy Nut Bars

Adapted from Rocco Dispirito’s “Now Eat This"! Diet cookbook

 

1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon espresso powder

3/4 cup liquid egg substitute

3 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour

3/4 cup agave nectar

1 tablespoon butter, melted

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup chopped almonds

 

1.  Preheat your oven to 350.  Spray and 8 x 8 baking dish with nonstick spray.

2.  In the bowl of a food processor, combine the beans, cocoa powder, espresso powder, egg substitute, and flour.  Process until the mixture is smooth.  Process for 1 minute and scrape down the bowl and run the processor again for 1 more minute.

IMG_2069

IMG_2072 

IMG_2076

3.  Add the agave, butter and vanilla.  Process again. 

IMG_2075

4.  Fold in the nuts and pour the batter into prepared pan. 

IMG_2077

5.  Bake for 20 minutes, turning the pan halfway (I forgot) and after 20 minutes turn the oven to 300 and continue baking for another 5-7 minutes.

6.  Stick a toothpick in the center of the fudgies and you will want to see the batter sticking to it.  If you don’t see any than the dessert is overdone. 

7.  Place on a rack until completely cooled and put in the refrigerator until set.  About three hours, but overnight is ideal.

8.  Cut into 12 squares and enjoy.  Refrigerate any of the leftovers.

Per serving,  1 fudgie, 136 calories, 4 grams of fat, 25 grams carbohydrates, 5 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment