I like to snack. When I make breakfast, I am snacking. When I make lunch, again more snacking. And dinner. Don’t even get me started on dinner. The hours from 3-6pm are known as the witching hours in my house. I eat dinner before I make dinner, while I’m making dinner and after dinner when I am supposed to be cleaning up dinner. It’s a vicious cycle that happens day after day after day.
Since I haven’t quite figured out how to stop all the snacking, I have figured out how to make my snacks better for me. More nutritiously sound snacks. Snacks that give me more bang for the buck. Baby carrots can only take me so far, and cucumbers make me even hungrier. I crave sweet and salty. Something crunchy and worth chewing and, when I am counting calories something worth spend my precious calories on.
Enter chickpeas. Chickpeas are full of fiber and protein. Two elements that keep your hunger at bay longer. Chickpeas are a blank canvas for any flavor you want to coat them in. I am partial to Indian spices. Smokey, hot and intense is the perfect combo for me. You can choose to do any flavor. Plain old salt and pepper works fine as well.
Oh! Look what my daddy made me!!!!!
Indian Spiced Roasted Chickpeas
Cooks note* All the spices are available at your local grocery store.
2 cans (15.5 ounces) chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon garahm masala
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
3. Drain both cans of chickpeas and rinse with water.
4. In a medium bowl add the chickpeas, olive oil, and all of the spices. Please feel free to deviate from the recipe and try your own.
5. Stir to coat the chickpeas in all the spicy goodness.
6. Pour out onto the prepared baking sheet and spread the chickpeas out evenly.
7. Bake in oven for 40-50 minutes, tossing every so often. The longer the chickpeas cook, the crunchier they get.
8. Store in a airtight container and snack.
Makes 7 1/2 cup servings. 154 calories 6 grams of protein 20 grams of carbohydrates 6 grams of fat.