Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Oh My Gosh This Dish is Amazing! Hoisin Pork Taco Wraps!

 

IMG_2662

Is exactly what I said when I put this in my face.  Seriously.  This is that good.  I am so excited to share this recipe with you guys this week.  I want you to make it right now!  Ok, so not right now but definitely soon.  Remember that awesome smell you get when you walk in the house after working long hours and running kids everywhere?  This smell will make all that stress go away.  It’s roasted meat why wouldn’t it?

IMG_2658

I found this recipe in the Taste Of Home “Slow Cooker Recipe Cards”.  I know this is my second slow cooked meal this week.  It has been that kind of week.  I needed something I could throw something together in a few minutes.  This cookbook has quite a few tasty recipes I can’t wait to try.  I want to share them with you! 

IMG_2653

The beauty of this recipe is the lack of ingredients.  Seriously for the pork and just the pork, there are three.  Yep that’s it.  Well, how many for the coleslaw you make with it?  5.  That’s all.  The sweet, smoky flavor of hoisin sauce goes perfectly with the tangy, crisp textures of the slaw.  If you don’t know, or haven’t used hoisin sauce before, it’s a Chinese barbecue sauce.  You can find it in the international foods aisle of your grocery store.  Its’ rich and tangy and flavors the pork nicely.  For the coleslaw, you could use pre-shredded cabbage.  I used half a head of purple cabbage and I purchased a bag of pre-shredded carrots.  Rice wine vinegar is a flavored vinegar (also purchased in the same aisle as the hoisin sauce), it is sweet and tangy and when mixed with sugar makes a quick pickle out of the cabbage.

IMG_2664

For a quick side dish, I served udon noodles sautéed in teriyaki sauce.  You could make ramen noodles or rice if you want too.  Please give this dish a try.  I know it will be one of your family favorites.  Everybody rated the dish 4.5 out 5 stars. 

Enjoy!

 

 

Hoisin Pork Wraps

1 boneless whole pork loin roast (3 pounds)

1 cup hoisin sauce, divided

1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, minced

6 cups red cabbage, shredded

1 1/2 cups carrots, shredded

1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced

3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar

4 1/2 teaspoons sugar

1 pack of soft flour tortillas, I used the small size.

 

1.  Cut the roast in half.

2.  Combine 1/3 cup of hoisin sauce and ginger.  Rub all over pork.

IMG_2648

3.  Transfer to slow cooker and cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until pork is tender.

IMG_2655

4.  At some point in the day, preferably earlier on make the coleslaw.

IMG_2651   IMG_2652

5.  Combine the carrots, cabbage, onion, rice wine vinegar and sugar in a large bowl and cover and refrigerate until ready to eat. 

IMG_2657

6.  Shred the meat with two forks and return to the slow cooker.  Heat the meat through and cover it with the sauce. 

7.  Squirt the hoisin sauce on a plain tortilla and add the shredded pork and the coleslaw.  You guys know how to eat a taco.  Inhale!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment