Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sweet Sundays: Chocolate Toffee Peanut Butter Cookies

 

IMG_2567.JPG (2)

Hello guys!  I took a few days off to take care of myself.  I haven’t been feeling the greatest a of late, so I have been working and coming home and getting into my pajamas.  I am going to blame it on the weather.  Thankfully it is March and the end of winter is near.  It’s crazy to think that when it’s 20 degrees outside people think it’s a heat wave.  It was 40 degrees yesterday and I saw a few kids running around without there coats on! 

IMG_2562.JPG (2)

Spring is almost a few weeks away.  Spring break is precisely 27 days away.  The kids are super busy with the after school activities and they are always famished when the get home.  I found a perfect “after school” cookie recipe with a little fiber and a little protein to help keep them satisfied until dinner.  In my “Taste of Home Cookies”, cookie there are loads of great cookie recipes.  Cookies that have just a few ingredients and cookies that are works of art.  Chocolate Toffee Peanut Butter cookies are perfect for a Sunday afternoon to ease everyone into another busy week. 

IMG_2564

Here are some observations from the recipe.  This cookie dough is extremely dense.  I was starting to get concerned that the cookies would be dense and heavy.  Fear not, the cookies are light and crispy and a little bit chewy.  I also added the toffee chips to the recipe.  The original recipe didn’t not call for them, but I figured, hey everything taste better with toffee.  I love the peanut butter flavor in these (of course), you can use creamy or chunky.  I used both because I didn’t have enough of one kind.  The little nubs of peanut in the cookie gives it great texture as well.

Enjoy!

 

Chocolate Toffee Peanut Butter Cookies

 

3/4 cup shortening

1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar

1 cup granulated sugar

2 eggs

1 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunch)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 3/4 cups flour

1 cup quick cooking oats

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 cup chocolate toffee bits

 

1.  In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the shortening, and the sugars until light and fluffy.

IMG_2552.JPG (2)

2.  Add eggs, beating mix between eggs to incorporate them.

3.  Add in peanut butter and vanilla.  Continue to beat until all ingredients are combined.

IMG_2556.JPG (2)

4.  In a different bowl combine the dry ingredients.  The flour, baking soda, oats and salt need to be whisked together.

IMG_2557.JPG (2)

5.  With the mixer running or with a spoon gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined.

6.  Carefully stir in the chocolate chips and toffee chips.

IMG_2560.JPG (2)

IMG_2561.JPG (2)

7.  Drop rounded tablespoon size dough balls onto a greased baking sheet.  I use parchment paper.  Make sure cookies are about 2 inches apart.  I used an ice cream scoop, so my cookies are a little bit larger than they should be.

8.  Bake in a 325 degree oven for 12-14 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown and set.

No comments:

Post a Comment