Thursday, February 20, 2014

Chocolate Macaroon Bars

 

IMG_2399

Yup, it’s chocolate time again.  This is the recipe I debuted at church this past Sunday.  Every time someone went through the line their reaction was the same thing.  “OHHHH I will definitely take one of those!”  “Chocolate and coconut?  Right up my alley!”  I guarantee these bars will be right up your alley too! 

IMG_2392

I discovered this amazing, easy recipe in the Pillsbury “Best Family Meals from the Bake-Off” cookbook.  This little cookbook is loaded with fast easy meals that serve more than the normal family of four.  I made two batches of these bars and cut them into smaller pieces than required and I am glad I did.  The bars went like hotcakes!  This is the perfect dessert to bring to a potluck or to have for dessert at a dinner party.  I will be bringing these again for sure.   The dessert is so fancy, no one will know how much time you DIDN’T spend on it! 

IMG_2398

The secret ingredient?  Refrigerated crescent roll dough.  Yup that’s it. I used two different kinds.  I had purchased a seamless roll earlier and hadn’t used it and then purchased a perforated crescent roll just in case I needed it.  Look at the pictures below.  It is way easier to use the seamless roll.  The crust bakes up more even and has a nicer texture.  Plus I didn’t have to spend time pinching all of the seams together. 

IMG_2373

(Freshly roasted almonds)

Please give these bars a try.  They will become a crowd favorite.  My crowd liked them.  I promise your crowd will love them too.

Enjoy!

 

 

Chocolate Macaroon Bars

 

1 (8 ounce) seamless refrigerated crescent rolls

2 cups coconut

1 (14oz) can sweetened condense milk

1/4 teaspoon almond extract

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

2 tablespoons peanut butter

1/2 cup chopped almonds, optional

 

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray a 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.

2.  Unroll dough and press into the bottom of the pan and push up the sides of the pan, about 1/2 inch.

IMG_2367   IMG_2368 

(Seamless)                                    (Not seamless) obviously

3.  Sprinkle with coconut.

4.  In a bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk and almond extract; mix well.  Drizzle over coconut.

IMG_2369

IMG_2370

5  Bake at 375 for 16 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool 15 minutes.

IMG_2377

6.  Melt your chocolate chips is a pan on low heat.  Usually I do this in the microwave.  This way works, but you have to be diligent with your stirring.  If you leave it alone it will burn.  So keep your eye on it.

IMG_2380

7.  When the chocolate chips are melted, stir in the peanut butter.

IMG_2379

8.  Spread chocolate mixture over the coconut bars and sprinkle with almonds. 

IMG_2385

IMG_2376

9.  Refrigerate for 1 hour or until the bars are set.

 

10,  Cut into bars.

Serves 36

 

Per bar: 125 calories, 16 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams of protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment