Thursday, February 13, 2014

Southwest Turkey and Bean Chili

 

IMG_2328

Looking to spice up your Thursday?  In need of something warm and cozy? You have come to the right place.  I have definitely been in the mood for a steamy, chunky bowl of chili.  Chili is it’s name and chilly it has been so let’s put the two together and beat this weather!  (Really, I am so sick of the snow).

I love chili.  My mother-in-law used to make a fantastic chili.  I loved it, but it was a bit on the watery side.  She always served it with buttered Saltines.  I would always crush up the crackers in my soup.  I like it chunky.  That’s how I like my chicken noodle soup or any soup that I am served, the less broth the better.  (I know, I’m weird).  This chili meet my needs for a chunky soup and exceeded my expectations.

IMG_2325

The “base” of this recipe comes from Sandra Lee’s “Every Dish Delivers” cookbook.  I put base in quotations, because I took the main parts of the chili and switched out and added my own ingredients.  You are more than welcome to do that as well.

I served this chili with “Mexican Muffins”.  I found the recipe for these muffins in a really old cookbook.  Ok, so not really old, let’s just say “vintage”.  In 1975 Better Homes and Gardens published a cookbook called “Quick Breads”.  I found it at a flea market and paid 50 cents for it.  The original sticker price was a steep 2.49!  I will post the recipe for the muffins in the next blog. 

Right now, just enjoy the chili.

 

Southwest Turkey and Bean Chili

 

Serves 8

 

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 large yellow onion, diced

3 cloves of garlic, chopped

1 pound ground turkey

2 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes

1 28 ounce can black beans, drained

1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained

1 15 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained

3 tablespoons chili powder

4 cups chicken broth or water

Sour cream and cheddar cheese to garnish

 

1.  Heat oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.

2.  Add onions and garlic to oil and saute until onions are golden and soft. Do not burn the garlic.

IMG_2316

3.  Add the ground turkey and stir to break it into chunks.  Cook until no longer pink.

IMG_2317

(can you see the meat? )

4.  Add tomatoes, black beans, garbanzo beans, corn, chili powder and broth or water.

IMG_2320

IMG_2321

 

5.  Turn the heat down and cover.  Simmer for 30 minutes.

6.  Season with salt and pepper or a little more spice if you’d like.

7.  Top each serving with cheese and salsa.  I added corn chips to mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment