Saturday, February 1, 2014

Pork Pork Pork: Easy Breaded Pork Chops

 

IMG_2197

The answer to the question:  How do we do pork chops?  This is how we do pork chops.  Pork is such a versatile meat.  It can be cooked for a long time to produce tender ribs or pan-seared in a flash for a quick weeknight dinner.  Pork is a blank canvas waiting for your artist paint brush.  In case you haven’t figured it out yet, pork is one of my favorite meats.

Thank you to all you answered the question I posted a few days ago.  I loved all the answers and I really want to try all of them.  Some of the suggestions were quite unique and delicious!  Of course apple sauce!  Yum!

IMG_2194

Today’s recipe is more a technique than a recipe.  It is a standard instruction for how to bread meat.  I found it in “The Joy of Cooking”, by Irma S. Rombauer.  I have had this cookbook for at least 20 years and I have never used it.  It is a cookbook that has all the answers in it.  Need a basic recipe for anything and you will probably find it.  It has easy to follow steps and also easy to follow variations.  The cookbook was first published in 1931 and has been published many many times.  It’s definitely one to keep in the collection, I just need to use it more often.

Breaded pork chops serves four people.  We are family of five so I doubled the recipe.  I used boneless center-cut pork loin, cut 1-inch thick.  I had plenty of leftovers for sandwiches and snacking.  Oh man…these are even good cold on a sandwich, or for breakfast the way my oldest had them.  I also made my own homemade bread crumbs.  Homemade bread crumbs are so easy to make!!!!  Just take 4 or 5 slices of bread and throw them in the food processor.  That’s it!  No excuse!

Now get your pork on….

 

Breaded Pork Chops or Cutlets

8 center-cut pork chops, cut 1/2-inch thick or 1 pound boneless center-cut port loin cut 1-inch thick.  (I used the latter and doubled it to two pounds)

Salt and Pepper to taste

3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs

1 teaspoon dried thyme or any dried herb you would like

1/2 cup all purpose flour

1 large egg, slightly beaten

1 tablespoon butter, for frying

1 tablespoon olive oil, or other type of vegetable oil

 

1.  Set up a breading station.  Collect three shallow pans.  I used cake pans, but you can use whatever you want. 

IMG_2184

Pan #1.  Flour.  Seasoned with salt and pepper

Pan #2  Egg, mixed slightly seasoned with salt and pepper

Pan #3  Bread crumbs, mixed with the dried thyme and salt and pepper.

2.  Season pork chops with salt and pepper and start dredging.

IMG_2186 

3.  Lightly coat pork chops in flour.  Tap to remove the excess flour.

IMG_2188.JPG (2)

4.  Lightly coat the pork chops in egg wash.  Tap to remove excess egg.

IMG_2189.JPG (2)

5.  Lightly coat the pork chops in bread crumbs.  Press to make sure the pork is coated.

IMG_2190

6.  Repeat with all remaining chops.

7.  In a large skillet on a medium-high heat, melt the butter and olive oil.  The olive oil stops the butter from burning and gives the dish a richer flavor.

IMG_2185

8.  Saute the chops for 2 minutes per side.  I turned the oven on to 350 degrees and finished the pork in the oven.  The internal temperature of the pork should be 160 degrees.  Just be sure your pan isn’t too hot, because you will burn the breading before your pork is done.

IMG_2192

9.  Serve with whatever you would like.  I made scalloped potatoes and applesauce.  (Shhhhh! Not homemade)

No comments:

Post a Comment