This looks complicated, but it is anything but… Just a few ingredients turns tonight’s dinner into something amazing. I mean cheese and bacon how can it get much better. It can! When you add cream cheese! Ok, so this recipe isn’t low fat nor is it low in calories, but boy is it delicious!
This recipe comes from Sandra Lee’s “Every Dish Delivers”. I jus used this cookbook last week as the base for my Southwest Turkey and Bean Chili. The picture is what sold me. Picture this: A chicken breast covered in bacon and cheese and filled with sweet apples and cream cheese. How can that not be good! I am trying to get my family to step out of the norm of tame flavors. This recipe will tingle your taste buds with sweet and salty. Everybody enjoyed it and when I say everyone, I actually mean everyone!
A couple of notes for you…..
1. I used boneless skinless chicken breasts. I cut the chicken in half and pounded the meat to get a bigger surface area.
2. Make sure your cream cheese is room temperature. It will make it much easier to spread on a wet piece of meat.
3. Make sure you tightly roll the bacon around the chicken packets. You don’t want to lose everything out of the middle.
Cheddar Apple Bacon Chicken Roll-ups
Serves 4 (I made extra, its pretty easy to double)
4 whole chicken breasts, boneless, skinless and butterflied
4 ounces of cream cheese at room temperature
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (divided)
3 ounces of apple, thinly sliced.
8 slices of bacon
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray
2. Pat the chicken breasts dry and lay out on a plate. Do this step one at a time.
3, Season with salt and pepper.
4. Cover one side of the chicken breast with cream cheese.
5. Top with a heavy sprinkle of shredded cheese.
6. Layer four or five apple slices on of the shredded cheese and cream cheese.
7. Fold other half of chicken breast over side with stuffing.
8. Wrap two pieces of bacon around the the chicken breasts and secure with a toothpick if necessary.
9. Repeat with the rest of chicken breasts.
10. Place chicken packets n the prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
11. Take out of the oven and turn your oven up to the broil setting.
12. Top chicken packets with with remaining apple slices.
13. Place back in the oven for 2 minutes or until the apples go soft.
14. Open the oven again and add the remaining shredded cheese to the chicken.
15. Close the oven door and let the cheese melt and when the cheese is melted you are done!
I know it looks like a lot of steps, but they are easy ones, and I want you guys to see how simple this is!