Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Italian-Style Pork Pot Roast

 

IMG_2429.JPG (2)

There really isn’t anything like it.  You know, coming home and unlocking your door and having each of the kids whining about something or having the weight of the world on your shoulders.  You know, after having dropped your keys in the snow a third time or the constants drum of MOM MOM MOM MOM MOM in your ears.  You open your door, pile in to the kitchen, and then it hits you… Dinner is done and it smells absolutely delicious.

IMG_2428.JPG (2)

I love those days.  I need to have them more often.  It is so easy, I don’t know why I don’t.  Probably because my brain only thinks one day at a time and heaven forbid I plan anything ahead of time.  There are a few moments of clarity when I think, hmmmm maybe I will pick up stuff for dinner at the store for today aannnd tomorrow.  Makes sense right?  When you smell this pot roast in your kitchen you know for a few moments that the craziness of this world does make sense.

This recipe comes to us from the CrockPot* “Slow Cooker Bible”.  I love it.  There are so many great ideas in this cookbook.  Easy 4 or 5 ingredient dishes and desserts.  Each one of the has a unique spin.  I put a spin on this pot roast recipe when I swapped out the beef and substituted pork.  That’s the beauty of slow cooker recipes you can do that!  When I went to the store to purchase the beef bottom round roast I discovered that it cost twice as much as the pork counterpart and you got a lot less.  That was easy.  I bought the pork roast, cut it in half and now I have another meal for another time.

The one suggestion for this meal is to serve it with something more than just the beans.  The kids were happy with plain white rice and it was a bit more substantial in their tummies.  I hope you guys get to enjoy this recipe.  My gosh did it smell good and it sure did taste good too. 

 

Enjoy!

P.S.  I apologize for the quality of the pictures.  It was early morning (6am).  Nothing should count before 6 AM.

 

Italian-Styled Pot Roast, Pork or Beef

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes.

1 boneless beef bottom round rump or pork shoulder roughly 2.5 to 3 pounds

1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced

1 1/2 cups tomato-basil or marinara sauce

2 cans (15 ounce) Northern beans or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained

 

1.  Combine, garlic, salt, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes in a small bowl and rub all over roast.

IMG_2417.JPG (2)

2.  Place half of the onion slices in the bottom of the crock pot.

IMG_2419.JPG (2)

3.  Place the roast on top of the onions.  If you need to slice the roast in half to fit the crock pot due so, and layer the onions in-between the the meat.

IMG_2421.JPG (2)

4.  Cover with remaining onions and sauce.

5.  Set your crockpot to the low setting and let cook for 8 to 9 hours.

6.  Remove the roast to a cutting board and tent with foil.  Let the liquid in the crockpot stand for 5 minutes so the fat comes to the surface.  Skim off the fat.

IMG_2424.JPG (2)

7.  Stir beans into liquid and cover and cook on high for 15 minutes until the beans are warmed through.

IMG_2426.JPG (2)

8.  Serve as is or make a big pot of rice to serve over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment