Thursday, February 27, 2014

Easy Weeknight! Cowboy Biscuit Bake

 

IMG_2497.JPG (2)

I am always leery of feeding my family one pot dishes.  “Mom!  My food is touching this other food!”  or “I can’t eat this, it has this in it!”  So when I bring dishes like this one, “Cowboy Biscuit Bake”, to the table, my defenses are already on high alert and my emotions might be a little on edge. 

IMG_2509.JPG (2)

I think most people feel this way.  I mean, you spend your hard earned money at the grocery store and prepare a meal you spent some time finding, only to have it shot down before you even sit down.  I want to feed my family a variety of tastes and textures at each meal and sometimes that means lumping every ingredient into one pan.  Sometimes that means the family isn’t going to like it and sometimes they surprise you…..

IMG_2493

Tada!!!!!!  Cowboy Biscuit Bake was a winner!  Quick, easy and delicious!  I found this recipe in my Pillsbury “Casseroles” cookbook.  When I was a kid I remember doing the same thing to my mother.  Whenever she would pull a casserole cookbook out of her collection, to make the grocery list, I would stand over her to make sure green peppers were not on the list.  So I understand a little bit of what my kids and husband go through.

Smokey, hardy, meaty and bacony are the words I would use to describe this dish.  I would have preferred a little spicier mix, but you can add cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes if you like.  I also cut up the biscuits into smaller bits so they spread out more.  Alex (the 14 year old) gave this a ranking of 4 out of 5 stars.  If Alex has it for breakfast, that usually means the recipe is pretty good.  Please put this dish in your must have casseroles.  It will be a hit!

 

Enjoy!

 

 

Cowboy Biscuit Bake

 

1/2 sliced bacon, cut into 1- inch slices

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (or ground turkey)

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 can (14.5 ounces) crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained

1 can (28 ounces) spicy chili beans, undrained

1/2 cup chili sauce

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 tablespoon vinegar

2 teaspoons dry ground mustard powder

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 can (12 ounces) Pillsbury Golden Layers refrigerated buttermilk or flaky biscuits.

 

1.  Heat oven to 375 degrees. 

2.  In a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.

3.  Drain bacon on a paper towel and return to pan.

4.  Add ground beef and onion, stirring frequently, until beef is cooked through.

IMG_2474.JPG (2)

5.  Stir in all the remaining ingredients, except the biscuits and cook 5 to 8 minutes stirring occasionally until hot and bubbly.

IMG_2478.JPG (2)

IMG_2479.JPG (2)

IMG_2481.JPG (2)

IMG_2482.JPG (2)

6.  Spoon hot mixture into a 13x9-inch baking dish.

IMG_2488

7.  Separate biscuits into ten rounds and cut each biscuit into 8 pieces.

IMG_2486

IMG_2487

8.  Arrange biscuits on top of hot mixture.

IMG_2489

9.  Bake 22 to 27 minutes or until the biscuits are deep golden brown.

IMG_2499.JPG (2)

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment